January 3, 2014

Sourdough Kefir Chocolate Waffles

Labels: , , ,


New year, new promise to eat healthier. I'm not sure if I can keep it, or if I want to. Haha. First on the list is consuming fewer carbs which is near to impossible because I can't live without bread and rice. I'd rather exercise 1 hour every single day than go without having them. Or maybe I can limit carbs gradually and at the same time regularly add other healthy stuff to my diet like kefir and yogurt. I eat Greek yogurt often and once in a while buy kefir drinks from the store. 



There are reusable kefir grains from health food stores but they have to be used and maintained regularly. I found packets of non-reusable kefir powder from our grocery store and made a liter of kefir whole milk. It takes 24 hours to ferment the milk. Although it's supposed to have fewer beneficial probiotic bacteria it is fine with me as I don't know if I will use the grains often.


One of the first recipes I found using kefir is sourdough chocolate waffles made with whole wheat flour and uses raw unprocessed cane sugar. It sounds delicious and healthy too. And it is really really delicious. 

Sourdough Kefir Chocolate Waffles
sourdough
4 ounces ready sourdough
1 cup unflavored whole milk kefir, store-bought or homemade
1 cup whole wheat flour

waffles
½ cup cocoa powder
6 tablespoons fine raw sugar
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 whole eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
prepared sourdough
  • The night before making waffles, mix thoroughly sourdough ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic film and leave on the kitchen counter for at least 8 hours. 
  • The next day, prepare the waffles. Preheat waffle maker. In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, oil or butter, and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined. Stir into the sourdough together with the chocolate chips, if using. Bake waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with butter and pure maple syrup or fresh blueberry sauce.
http://pictureclusters.blogspot.com/2014/01/food-friday.html

2 comments:

Winnie said...

I just wanna bite into it :)
Looks delicious

Happy New Year my friend :)

maiylah said...

wow, looks good! never knew that waffles (and maybe pancakes, too?) can be made using sourdough! same here, want to eat healthy, but rice and bread must be a mainstay in my diet! lol. :P

not too sure if there is kefir here...?

thanks so much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
enjoy the rest of the week!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com