July 12, 2012

Bucatini with Eggplant and Fresh Tomatoes

Labels: , , , ,


I have so much fresh tomatoes from my backyard I've been snacking on them everyday. They are very sweet and yummy sprinkled with a little sea salt and of course they are excellent in pasta dishes. There is no comparison in flavor with the canned stuff. 

I have a package of bucatini, a thick pasta similar to spaghetti but with a hole running through the middle like a very thin long macaroni. The noodles take about 10 minutes to cook and according to some recipe sources, the best sauce is a simple tomato and pancetta. I added an Asian eggplant to the dish. The sweetness from the tomatoes and the eggplant makes this simple sauce outstanding.


Bucatini with Eggplant and Tomatoes
4 ounces bucatini or spaghetti
1 ounce pancetta or unsmoked bacon, diced
½ cup chopped onion
1 Asian eggplant, peeled and cubed
4 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and cubed
sea salt to taste
a pinch of red pepper flakes 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
coarsely grated Romano cheese
  • Cook pasta according to package directions. 
  • In a large skillet, brown the pancetta or bacon. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add eggplant and cook until both onion and eggplant are soft. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt; cook for 3 minutes. Turn heat off and add cooked and drained noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and dish up. Top with cheese.

7 comments:

i♥pinkc00kies said...

love this. i like my pasta simple :)

Unknown said...

absolutely divine! i'd love this pasta dish.
my neighbor gave my mom a pot of cherry tomatoes---it hope there will be fruits soon.:p

Winnie said...

I agree with Luna Miranda - this dish looks absolutely divine.
My other half (=husband) would loooooooooove it

Anonymous said...

I just love pasta dishes!Cheers!

maiylah said...

YUMMMM!!! simple and delicious! love food like this... :)

thanks much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

Juliana said...

Nice pasta dish Oggi...I think I never had bucatini...and eggplant is a great addition to the sauce.
Have a great week :)

Unknown said...

The pasta looks wonderful.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com