September 22, 2009

Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire

Labels: ,

Multigrain Bread

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge week 20: Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire.

If you are like me who loves hearty chewy bread with a bit of crunch, then this is the loaf for you. The slices are very good as they are and utterly delicious toasted for sandwiches. I spread mayonnaise on the toasted slices, piled thick slices of heirloom tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt, and had the best and satisfying sandwich ever! Seriously. This bread is just perfect, in my honest opinion. I also love it for open-faced cucumber sandwich and with the slightly sour-sweet caramelly cheese mysost.

The bread I made is loaded with a soaker combination of polenta, millet, quinoa, rolled oats, and wheat bran, plus the cooked brown rice in the dough. There was too much dough for my loaf pan so I shaped the extra into 2.5-ounce buns. I then rolled the tops of the shaped loaf and buns in white poppy seeds.

The bread is chewy from all the various grains and high-gluten flour but the extra chew comes from the brown rice; and the crunch is from polenta, quinoa, and poppy seeds. The honey and dark brown sugar, which might be too much for some but for me it is just about right, and buttermilk contribute to the bread's overall flavor and yummyness. I love soft white milky breads but this easy to make extraordinary multigrain bread is an absolute keeper; another winning formula from Mr. Reinhart. Can you tell I have a new number one favorite bread recipe from the book?

Multigrain Bread
to make the seeds stick on the unbaked dough, I spread them on the counter and pressing slightly, roll the tops of the shaped dough on the seeds

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

9 comments:

Rosemary & Garlic said...

This may be my favorite. I made one loaf Saturday and had to make another on Monday, with guidelines as to how much bread product we can consume. It makes great morning toast.

Susie said...

LOOKS awesome.
I don't care for a crunch in bread though so what would I take out?
Great job.
Susie

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This is still on my list to make... I've been avoiding whole wheat breads from the challenges! However this looks fantastic and I love how beautiful they came out!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

This is one of my favorites thus far too. I've also made this twice! Susie, I think the crunch comes from the polenta, not sure though. Perhaps if you use a finer ground cornmeal the crunch factor wouldn't be there?

Cindy said...

I love crunchy chewy breads too. I can't wait to make this one. I have never seen white poppy seeds before. They look so pretty. I am going to see if I can find mysot cheese here. It sounds really good.

Janice said...

Absolutely gorgeous! My is proofing now and I'm hoping for the best . . .

misterrios said...

I love the color of the crumb. Wow! I'm very much looking forward to this bread, but there hasn't been any time to bake this week!

Oggi said...

Hi all, thanks.

Kelly said...

I'm with you. I loved the touch of sweetness with this one from the brown sugar and honey. So good! Yours looks incredible - great crumb!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com