March 11, 2008

Mint Chocolate Cupcakes

Labels:

mint chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting
I have been making cupcakes recently. Cupcakes have been the "it" thing since the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes became famous. Many copycat bakeshops have sprouted not just in the USA but everywhere on the planet and I have been reading about them in several food blogs. Recently a very successful bakeshop that only sells cupcakes in Washington, D.C. was featured in the Washington Post which makes me want to open my own bakeshop, if only I can find a rich partner or financier or the courage to start a business. I have baked red velvet cupcakes before which were delicious but require a lot of work and clean-up. The latest I made was chai cupcakes which were just okay, the chai flavor was very faint and the recipe had loads of sugar. Next on my cupcake list is either chocolate or an alcohol drink inspired (margarita, zombie, etc.) but when I found online a really easy chocolate with mint cupcakes I knew right then the zombie cupcakes can wait. The mint chocolate cupcakes are a breeze to make, not excessively sweet, and have a super soft melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I iced them with my favorite buttercream frosting tinted with green food color gel. (Just in time for St. Patrick's Day celebration.) I have already devoured 3 of these delicious cupcakes, 15 more to go.:-)

Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
½ cup boiling water
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup grapeseed oil or butter
½ teaspoonvanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely minced mint leaves or ½ tsp mint extract
4 large eggs, separated
1¼ cup sugar
¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
for garnish: small mint leaves, chopped roasted pistachio
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line 18 cupcake tins with baking papers.
  • In a heatproof glass cup, add cocoa powder to boiling water, stir until smooth. Add oil or butter, vanilla extract, and mint. Stir until mixture is glossy, set aside to cool. Stir the egg yolk with a fork until smooth, set aside.
  • In a large bowl, sift together 1 C sugar, the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, set aside.
  • In another bowl, beat egg whites with mixer on high for 1 minute, add 2 tablespoons of the remaining ¼ cupsugar and beat on high for 30 seconds. Slowly add the remaining sugar, beating until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes, set aside. Add the chocolate mixture and egg yolks to the flour mixture. Using a flexible rubber spatula, stir by hand until well combined, scraping bottom well. Add ½ cup of the whipped egg white and stir well to lighten the flour mixture. Gently fold the rest of egg white mixture until the batter is of uniform chocolate color. The batter will be light.
  • Using a small ladle, spoon batter ¾ full. Bake for 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool in pans until ready to frost.
the softest velvety smooth chocolate cupcake

9 comments:

raissa said...

Hello, my name is Raissa and I am a cupcakeholic! LOL I really do. I have dashed through a pouring rain with a fever just to get some red velvet cupcakes from Sprinkles. A friend and I are vowing to try all the cupcakes that we can and start a blog "confessions of a cupcakeholic". Thanks for the recipe. will try it one of these days.

Anonymous said...

These look so good oggi! I love mint-chip ice cream, so this cupcake is perfect for me!

Oggi said...

raissa, that's a good idea "reviewing" cupcakes so I'll know which to try first.:) I heard that Sprinkles will open a store in Washington, DC sometime this year.

marvin they are very good, really soft and not very sweet. Mint-chocolate chip is also one of our favorite ice cream flavors.:)

Anonymous said...

wow! i love cupcakes too! i can't wait to try out this recipe!

Oggi said...

jengkie I'll post more cupcakes, check back next week.:)

Sidney said...

I am getting fat just by visiting your blog ! ;-)

Oggi said...

Sidney, you are getting fat virtually...I, on the other hand, am getting fat for real!:D

 gmirage said...

hmmm...looks tasty, I bet they are! My mixer broke and I am not sure which one to buy because it is detachable from the stand....I don't know if I am to buy a new set or use the stand with another mixer =( For the meantime, let me just savor the baked stuff you have! =D

Oggi said...

gizelle, I had one of those detachable mixer which is storage friendly. When it broke I replaced it with a Kitchen Aid.
Hand mix na lang, puede din.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com