March 28, 2008

Jalapeño And Cheese Sausage

Labels: , , ,




When I'm chatting on the telephone with my friends we somehow always end up talking about food. A friend mentioned that she and her husband visited Austin, TX and brought home 10 pounds of jalapeƱo sausages from a German sausage shop. She was raving about them that I looked at my Charcuterie book for a similar recipe but couldn't find any using fresh jalapeƱos. So I adapted the fresh bratwurst recipe from Charcuterie and added sliced fresh jalapeƱos and cubed aged cheddar cheese. The sausages are so soft, juicy, slightly spicy, and cheeseliciously fantastic! These sausages will also be great on the grill and they're absolutely perfect with truffle oil flavored baked/sauteed red potatoes.

Oggi's JalapeƱo and Cheese Bratwurst
3½ pounds pork shoulder, cubed, leave in freezer for half an hour
½ pound pork fat, cubed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons ginger powder
1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
½ cup soy protein powder, optional
2 small eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup very cold heavy cream
ice water, if needed
1 cup thinly sliced fresh jalapeƱo peppers with seeds
2 cups aged white cheddar cheese, diced into ¼ inch cubes
hog casings, softened in warm water for half an hour
  • Mix first 7 ingredients. Grind using a small die into the bowl of a stand mixer atop another bowl of ice water.
  • With paddle attached, add the eggs and mix on low speed. Slowly add heavy cream and increase speed to medium until mixture is sticky. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time if mixture appears too dry and difficult to mix. Add jalapeƱos and cheese and mix on low until evenly distributed.Heat a small skillet and fry a tsp of the sausage. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stuff casings and twist into 6-inch links.
  • To cook: put 2 T water on a skillet, add 6 links, cover and let simmer on low-medium heat until all the water has evaporated. Uncover, add 1 T light olive oil and fry until golden brown. Freeze uncooked links. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Sauteed or Baked Red Potatoes
1 pound small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ sliced shallots
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tsp salt
dash ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
black truffle flavored extra virgin olive oil
  1. In a deep roasting pan, mix potatoes, shallots, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  2. Bake in a 350 degree oven until potatoes are golden brown. Add parsley and sprinkle with truffle olive oil. Serve immediately.
  3. Or, saute potatoes in olive oil for 4 minutes, add onions, salt, and pepper and continue to stir fry another 5 minutes or until potatoes are soft and golden brown. Add parsley and truffle oil.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man those look good! I love grilling bratwurst and then keeping them warm on the grill in a pan of beer and onions. I've been meaning to try that brat recipe in charcuterie too.

Oggi said...

marvin I was supposed to smoke them first but they looked so good I couldn't resist and cooked a few pieces.:)
I'm into sausage making lately and will make the Vigan style longaniza next.

 gmirage said...

+sigh* I wish I'm learned in cooking as much as you are! Sarap naman nyan!

Btw, do you always change your header? Love those plum blossoms!

Sidney said...

I am amazed! What a passion and knowledge of food!
You seem to know more about food than most chefs in restaurants!

Chibog in Chief said...

dont tell me these are home-made oggi...this isnt fair!! you are really talented!! they look really yummmy :-) love the combination of jalapeno with sausages

Oggi said...

gizelle, yes I rotate my photos for the header para hindi nakakasawa.:)

I started to make spanish chorizo when the filipino store ran out of them for a long period, and then I bought a sausage making machine for home use. I have been making all sorts of sausages since, mas masarap na cheap pa!:)

Sidney, thanks. I just love to cook and of course eat them!:)

dhanggit, thanks. The combination of jalapeno and cheese is really good, I'm also thinking of using smoked or roasted anaheim peppers next time.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't believe you make your own sausage! They look really delicious!

Oggi said...

JMom, the sausage maker is the "kitchen toy" I never regretted buying. It has made lots of delicious Filipino longaniza and chorizo and is still working very well.

MDO BIO said...

Just finished making a batch of these - very tasty (we only tasted a sample from what was left in the stuffer!), loevly flavours, thanks very much for your post! I did modify the recipe a bit - I added 3 tbsp rice flour instead of the soy protein, I cut the salt in half, and I did not have heavy cream so I used regular cream with some butter in it (as suggested in the internet). Also, once done, I sous-vided them at 176F for 25 min, drained the accumulated liquid, re-sealed and froze (kept some for dinner tonight!).

MDO BIO said...

Made these last month, they were awesome. Just ate the last links last night, and all my guests agreed: best ever! I did reduce the salt a bit (to 1 1/3 tbsp instead of 2), and I used 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour instead of the soya protein. Also I sous-vided at 176F for 25 min, removed the accumulated liquid and froze. I grilled them slowly until nicely brown all around (darker than in your pic). Thanks so much!

Oggi said...

MDO BIO
You are most welcome. I'm glad the sausages turned out well. Sous vide is the best way to cook sausages IMHO.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com