August 7, 2006

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream

Labels:


I was googling ice cream flavors last night and saw a recipe for lemon meringue ice cream. It took half a day to prepare, I had to bake the meringues first, then cook the custard which had to be chilled for 2 hours. It's worth all the work, the ice cream is fantastic, I just love the sweet and tart combination. The recipe says the meringue will stay crisp for 2 days, no it will not, after 4 hours in the freezer the meringue bits are soft. So I put a few crumbled meringue on top for that added crunchiness and sweetness.


We're having either Swedish meatballs or Lebanese meat patties tonight so for lunch I had some crab meat topped with taba ng talangka (crab fat from tiny Philippine crabs). The crab meat is canned from Indonesia, already shelled and ready to eat or make into crab cakes, and the crab fat came in a jar from Manila. Plain crab meat is so yummy just with native Filipino vinegar seasoned with salt and fresh or dried chili flakes, sauteed veggies and plain steamed white rice. This canned crabmeat is ideal for people like me who don't like the hard work of cracking and extracting meat from crab shells, all you need is a can opener. An added bonus is that these crabs are tastier than the local blue crabs. In my opinion Filipino, Thai and Indonesian blue crabs taste superior to ours here in Virginia. I was going to make crab cakes but changed my mind as I have not eaten plain crab meat in a long time. I'll just get another can to make into crab cakes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com